Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Important Warning

As I was unpacking boxes last night I came across a clear rubbermaid container that I had used to pack some sweaters in. As I popped the lid off and placed it top-down on my bed I noticed a warning label on the inside lid. Having packed the box so quickly before leaving San Francisco I had inadvertantly missed the warning and could have easily put myself and the contains of the box in danger had I packed the box differently than intended.

The label was simple. It showed a line drawing of a child sitting inside the container with the lid leaning half closed over his head. Around the line drawing was a large red circle with a slash through it. As I examined the warning label closer it raised a few questions that were not clearly answerd. Was the label infering that a clear box should not be used to store children because sunlight can still discolor the child? Was the label implying that boxes smaller than the child needing storage should not be used because a tight seal would not be created and freshness may be compomised? Perhaps it was just letting us know that this particular box was not suitable for child storage and that we should visit Rubbermaids website to find the product that does allow child storage.

If we need labels that tell us not to put our children in boxes we should start applying the thinking behind this label to our everyday lives. I am sure "no children in the trunk", "no children in the toilet" and " no children in the garbage can" stickers would not be as acceptable. That is common sense right? According to the 11 o'clock news, apparently not.

Think people. Think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home