Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A mouth full of Beauty

As I was packed into the subway this morning I noticed a tall women get on the train and stand directly next to me. As a proffessional people watcher I began to check her out. Starting at the toes she had on a gold colored moccosin shoe with an ankle strap and a small muke style heel. Odd look but hey, fashion is sometimes out their. Moving to her legs I could see exposed calves and then the bottoms of a pair of denim capri pants. It is supposed to be 36 degrees today. Yeserday was 52 BUT today is not yestarday. Covering the tops of her capri's was a brown, woven wool coat. light wool. Fashionable of coarse. More style than function. In starck contrast to the brown coast was a turquoise "MJ" bag mounted on her left shoulder. Shinny and full of all the bells and whistles "hot fashion" bags have these days it perch off her arm begging me to ask what was inside. But I refrained. She was tall. Much taller than me. Maybe 5'11". She had a pretty face and manicured nails.

The last thing I saw was what inspired this rant. She was chewing gum. 8:30am. One of those icebreaker, altoid, dentyne ice gums. Really strong. How do I know. I could smell it across the car. In her hand was a giant coffee. So I focused on the mouth,gum and coffee. Sure enough, as soon as the train started moving, BAM sipville. Now that was along winded way to say I saw a girl chewing gum and drinking coffee but the point of the background was to paint a picture of this "normal" NY women and then explain this bizarre, counterintuitive behavior.

In a world of looking our best, sounding our best and smelling our best have we lost all sense for function, or taste for that matter.

People, drink your coffee, enjoy it, and then snap on a piece of gum.

2 Comments:

Blogger DarrellH said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:49 AM  
Blogger DarrellH said...

What a great description. I enjoyed reading it!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home